西区の埋立の変遷

みなとみらいは海だった。西区の埋立の歴史を知る

西区の埋立の変遷

いちょう通りから国道16号線へ進んでいくと踏切が見えます。
その手前に設置されている案内板です。
線路を渡ると横浜船渠会社(三菱重工業横浜造船所)正門の案内板があります。

線路と道路を渡った先にあるワイズロード横浜店さんは、自転車乗りには楽しいお店です。
沢山自転車アクセサリーがあるので、管理人もたまに何か面白いグッズがないか探しに行っています。

ちょっとした遠出で案内板を探しに行く時は自転車なので、非常に助かるお店です。

AD

西区の埋立の変遷

西区の埋立の変遷の案内板

江戸時代、現在の桜木町やみなとみらい21地区、横浜駅周辺はすべて海でした。

安政6(1859)年、東海道と開港場をつなぐ横浜道が野毛の山を切り開いて築かれ、戸部の高台には神奈川奉行所が設けられるなど戸部・野毛の丘は開港期の横浜の発展を担う日本人の拠点となりました。

開港後、文明開化が急速に進む中、明治5(1872)年には、日本初の鉄道が品川-横浜間で仮営業を開始します(本営業は新橋一横浜間)。

鉄道敷設にあたり、現在の高島町、桜木町周辺の土地が埋め立てられました。輸入した鉄道資機材は横浜港で陸揚げされ、横浜から建設が進められました。

その後、貿易の発展に合わせ港の機能充実を図るため、英国人技師のH.S.パーマーの計画をもとに、明治29(1896)年には船舶錨地150万坪という欧米諸国に遜色ない港が完成しました。

築港に並行し京浜有志一同の発起によりドック建設計画が進められ、明治24(1891)年には工場予定地の埋立が許可され、横浜船渠(せんきょ)会社(後の三菱重工業横浜造船所)が設立されました。

明治30(1897)年第二号ドックが竣工し、本格的に船舶修繕事業が開始されます。横浜船渠会社は倉庫事業、造船事業とその規模を拡大し、関東大震災や戦災、高度経済成長期に至る激動の時代を越えていきます。

昭和40(1965)年、当時の飛鳥田市長が6大事業の一つとして、関内駅、横浜駅周辺の二つの都心をつなぐ新市街地を創る計画を発表します。

地区の埋立は昭和53(1978)年に始まり、それにともない、横浜造船所は昭和57(1982)年に移転し、昭和62(1987)年には埋立地はほぼ現在の形となり、みなとみらい21地区となりました。

Land Reclamation of Nishi Ward

What are now Sakuragicho, the Minato Mirai 21 District, and the area around Yokohama Station were covered completely by the sea during the Edo Period (1603-1867). In 1859, Yokohama-Michi (Yokohama Road) connected the Tokaido Road and the newly opened port, cutting through the hill of Noge. The Kanagawa Magistrate’s Office was built on the high ground of Tobe, making Noge Hill and Tobe Hill the center of activity for those Japanese involved in developing the city after the opening of the port.

With the port opened, progress came quickly. In 1872, provisional commercial service by Japan’s first railway was launched between Shinagawa and Yokohama (prior to the formal opening of the route between Shimbashi and Yokohama). For construction of the railway, the area that is currently Takashimacho and Sakuragicho was reclaimed. Imported railway equipment and materials were unloaded at the Port of Yokohama, and construction began from Yokohama.

International trade increased, and based on plans by the British engineer H. S. Palmer, the port was improved to include anchorage of 4,950,000 m2 upon completion in 1896, which compared favorably with ports in Western countries. In parallel, a plan to build a dock was originally proposed by citizens of the Keihin (Tokyo-Yokohama) region. In 1891, reclamation of a site for a factory was approved, and the Yokohama Dock Company, Ltd. (later Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’ Yokohama Dockyard & Machinery Works), was established. In 1897, with the completion of a second dock, the ship-repair business was developed into a full operation.

Expanding the scale of its warehousing and shipbuilding, the company made it through the turmoil of the Great Kanto Earthquake and World War II, after which came a period of high economic growth.

In 1965, then-Mayor Ichio Asukata announced a plan to create a new urban space connecting the two core areas around Kannai Station and Yokohama Station, as one of six flagship projects.

Reclamation began in 1978, and what had by then become Yokohama Dockyard & Machinery Works moved out of the area in 1982. The reclaimed land had almost reached its current configuration by 1987. Today, this is the location of the Minato Mirai 21 District.

地図を見る

横浜船渠に関する記事

今ではこんな街中!氷川丸はこんな場所で建造されていました

こんな場所で船を作っていた!?横浜船渠会社(三菱重工業横浜造船所)正門

AD
西区の埋立の変遷
Twitterだけの情報も発信中。フォローしよう☆